In the world of extreme sports, the more life threatening, the better. And speed flying is no exception.
"Riders are usually dropped off by helicopter on top of legendary crags like Switzerland's 13,000-foot The Eiger, or they climb Mont Blanc, Europe's highest point at nearly 15,800 feet. Folks have been known to try it out in Colorado, New Zealand, Russia, and South America, too.
Riders can reach speeds over 90 miles per hour; descending from the top of Mont Blanc to the valley floor in Chamonix, 12,000 feet below takes about 10 minutes.
Of course this all comes at a high price. No one died at the 2010 Swiss Speed Flying Championship last month, fortunately.But last year, the sport killed 9 people -- that's a lot for a pastime that maybe a few hundred adrenaline junkies participate in world wide."
Check out the selection of speed flying videos in the gallery below.
Want to master Microsoft Excel and take your work-from-home job prospects to the next level? Jump-start your career with our Premium A-to-Z Microsoft Excel Training Bundle from the new Gadget Hacks Shop and get lifetime access to more than 40 hours of Basic to Advanced instruction on functions, formula, tools, and more.
Other worthwhile deals to check out:
- 97% off The Ultimate 2021 White Hat Hacker Certification Bundle
- 98% off The 2021 Accounting Mastery Bootcamp Bundle
- 99% off The 2021 All-in-One Data Scientist Mega Bundle
- 59% off XSplit VCam: Lifetime Subscription (Windows)
- 98% off The 2021 Premium Learn To Code Certification Bundle
- 62% off MindMaster Mind Mapping Software: Perpetual License
- 41% off NetSpot Home Wi-Fi Analyzer: Lifetime Upgrades